South Wake Sabres 2020/2021 Basketball Season
The South Wake Sabres Basketball tryouts for new and returning players are scheduled to be held on Thursday, October 1st and Friday, October 2nd at Pleasant Grove Baptist Church. The address is 10005 Lake Wheeler Road, Fuquay-Varina, NC 27526. Invite your homeschool friends with basketball experience! Our mission is to provide a Christ-centered environment for homeschooled young men and women to develop in character and skill while playing basketball at a highly competitive level. We are planning to have several teams this season for both boys and girls. We also hope to have a Middle School Boys Developmental team (details later in this letter).
Players should attend the tryouts by the following age brackets:
Age eligibility by team is determined as of August 1, 2020. A player must be the age listed or under after the team name. (Player selection will be based on age and skill level.)
Middle School Girls – 14U (Age bracket is 14 or under)
Middle School Boys – 13U (Age bracket is 13 or under)
Junior Varsity – 16U (Age bracket is 16 or under)
Varsity – 18U (Age bracket is 18 or under)
The tryout times are as follows:
Thursday, October 1
|2:30 to 4:00pm||Middle School Girls
Head Coach, MSG – Jason Wright
|2:30 to 3:00pm||Parent Meeting for Middle School Girls (outside of the FLC at PGBC)|
|4:30 to 5:00pm||Parent Meeting for Varsity Boys (outside of the FLC at PGBC)|
|5:00 to 7:00pm||Varsity Boys
Head Coach, VB – Larry Manley
Friday, October 2
|2:30 to 4:30pm||Middle School Boys
Head Coach, MSB – Matt Wright
Head Coach, MSB Development – Steve Ramirez
|2:30 to 3:00pm||Parent Meeting for Middle School Boys (outside of the FLC at PGBC)|
|4:30 to 5:00pm||Parent Meeting for Varsity Girls (outside of the FLC at PGBC)|
|5:00 to 6:00pm||Varsity Girls
Head Coach, VG – David Jones
|6:00 to 6:30pm||Parent Meeting for JV Boys (outside of the FLC at PGBC)|
|6:30 to 8:30pm||JV Boys
Head Coach, JVB – Reggie Chapple
If your son or daughter plans to tryout, you MUST register online. NOTE: this is a separate registration from the summer open gym. Please arrive approximately 15 minutes prior to the tryout time in order to check-in at the registration table.
Required items to be completed before tryouts:
Player online registration is required by going to https://www.southwakesabres.org/ to complete the online player registration process prior to arriving at tryouts.
- During online registration, you are required to acknowledge your consent to the Sabres Handbook (including Player/Parent Contract, Sabres Volunteering Agreement), and NCHEAC Non-Compete Agreement. Acknowledgement to all of these agreements is required. If you haven’t already submitted a liability waiver, you must download, complete, and email to email@example.com. The Sabres Handbook is available online at https://www.southwakesabres.org/downloads-2/.
- $50 deposit, check made out to South Wake Sabres, turned in at the registration table the day of tryouts (applied to season fee if player is selected, refunded if not selected)
- Birth certificate for new players only, verified at tryout registration table and returned.
- Mandatory Parent Meeting- must be attended by at least one parent (see scheduled time above on this tryout announcement sheet) There will be a sign in sheet. If you have a multiple children trying out, you only have to attend one of the parent meetings. Meetings will be outside on the front lawn. Feel free to bring a lawn chair if you would like and stay socially distanced. Please wear a face covering when checking in your child for tryouts.
- Complete the Sabres COVID Screening form: https://forms.gle/44xfj5uyxH7VghKQA
- Players are required to wear a face covering when entering/exiting the building and when not actively participating on the court.
- No parents will be allowed in the gym during tryouts to observe. Please remain outside of the building.
Payment schedule for the 2019-2020 basketball season (selected players only): $450 for Varsity and $400 for JV/Middle School total per player ($50 paid at tryouts)
1st payment of $200 is due by NOVEMBER 1, 2020
2nd payment of $100 is due by DECEMBER 1, 2020
3rd payment of remaining balance is due by JANUARY 1, 2021
After the end of the regular season, players are expected to participate in the very exciting East Coast Homeschool Nationals Tournament at Liberty University, March 17-20, 2021.
Participation in this postseason tournament may require an additional fee paid for each participating player to the South Wake Sabres organization.
The additional fee, if necessary, is determined by Player/Family fundraising success during this season.
The Middle School Boys Developmental (MSB-D) team will play a shortened schedule of 10-12 games, will be non-conference for NCHEAC, and will NOT participate in any postseason tournaments, including the NCHEAC tournaments and East Coast Homeschool Nationals tournament. As such, the season fee for this team will only be $250.
We look forward to seeing you in October. GO SABRES!!
Oliver Wilson, Athletic Director, South Wake Sabres